Kyle Dolan returns for another themeless puzzle and the solve went very nicely for me. Here are Kyle's comments on this puzzle:
1. Gym supplies: MATS.
5. Affectionate-poke-on-the-nose word: BOOP.
9. Cut souvenirs: SCARS - Some SCARS don't show
14. Without instruments: A CAPPELLA - "In the manner of the chapel" Usually two words, two P's and two L's. The A CAPPELLA group, Pentatonix, provides some instrument-like voice accompaniment in this haunting piece.
16. "Haystacks" painter: MONET - This time it was MONET
17. "What?": COME AGAIN.
18. Soaked: SOGGY.
19. "The Twilight Zone" (2019) host Jordan: PEELE - Much more familiar with the guy on the right who created the series in 1959
|Jordan PEELE Rod Serling|
22. Ballet move: PLIE.
26. Take a bad turn: GO SOUTH - Some people have seen their businesses GO SOUTH this year
29. "Semper Fidelis" composer: SOUSA - Oorah!
30. "Concord Sonata" composer: IVES - Wow, Charles!
31. Race units: LAPS.
34. Talked like Moses or Abraham?: SPAKE - And thus God SPAKE unto Noah,"Uh, you're gonna need a bigger boat"
36. Tart finish?: LET - A tart is a baked dish consisting of a filling over a pastry base with an open top not covered with pastry.
37. In actuality: DE FACTO - I may be listed as "head of household" but...
39. The last pope named Clement: XIV (1760 - 1774) Obverse: Clement XIV. Reverse: Jesus, Peter and Paul expelling the Jesuits which Clement did in their name
40. Cleaner brand with a macron on its first vowel: DRANO which makes the drain 42. Circulate: FLOW better
44. Ones known for excellent service: ACERS - 163mph tennis serve is the record
46. Many people make them at work: LIVINGS.
48. Blizzard portmanteau: SNOWMAGEDDON - A news media image after a 6" snow was predicted
51. "Rub-__ ... ": A-DUB - Three men in a tub
52. Root that may be cubed: YAM - We math peeps appreciate the two red herrings
3. Big battery: D-CELL.
56. Realm of Tolkien's Dwarves: MORIA - Here 'ya go!
58. Are useful: FILL A NEED - For good or ill, I do that here on Saturday
61. Cleared in a diner: BUSED.
62. Proverbial nonexistent meal: FREE LUNCH.
63. Nuclear trial: A-TEST.
64. Pamplona pronoun: ESOS. ESOS pantalones están sucios (Those pants are dirty)
65. BFN alternative: TTYL - Bye For Now vs Talk To You Later
1. Buddy: MAC and 32. Buddy: PAL.
2. "Rent-__": 1988 film: A COP - This turkey had some big name stars
3. Unlikely to titillate: TAME.
4. Small trunks: SPEEDOS - Google if you must
5. "Go easy on me": BE GENTLE when correcting any 49. Faux pas: GAFFE I make here
6. Copacabana greeting: OLA and 48. Copacabana steps: SAMBA - OLA. ¿Te gustaría SAMBA? (Hello. Would you like to SAMBA?)
7. Tree sacred to Athena: OLIVE - What's that all about?
8. "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!" group: PANEL - Here is Tom Hanks serving as a guest host
9. Texting format, briefly: SMS - I use Short Message Service for texting and love it when people respond quickly.
10. Confines: COOPS UP - We've all had months of this recently
11. Norman Conquest victim: ANGLO SAXON - When the last ANGLO SAXON king, Edward the Confessor, died childless in 1066, William of Normandy (later The Conqueror) invaded to take the British crown from two others 3-minute summary
12. 2019 Best Supporting Actress winner for "If Beale Street Could Talk": REGINA KING - Kyle is happy to have introduced her name into crosswords. Her IMDB
13. They may be treated with compresses: STYES - Saturday cluing for a staple
15. Country in the Caroline Islands: PALAU - Peleliu is a small island in the PALAU archipelago and saw bitter fighting in WWII
21. Strike symbols: XES - Here's the last two XES on Boomer's twentieth 300 game
24. Source of livestock feed: CHAFF - Dried chopped forage used to add bulk to animal feed
25. Okay: SO SO.
26. Deceptively adorn: GILD - There's no need to GILD the lily
27. Transmission conclusion: OVER AND OUT
28. Start of typical "Star Trek" navigation orders: SET A COURSE
33. Admonish: SCOLD.
35. Tense times, maybe: EVES - This dystopian song came to my mind
37. School house: DORM - My first DORM room was #237 in Morey Hall in 1964
38. Turns idly, as a pencil: TWIDDLES.
41. Green ones: NEWBIES.
43. Pesto ingredient: PINE NUT - among other ingredients
45. For example: SAY.
47. Inclined to opine: VOCAL.
50. Mideast dignitaries: EMIRS.
54. Advanced: LENT - I LENT/advanced a family member a lot of money to help adopt a child from China and in my heart I knew I would never get it all back. BTW, she was worth it!
55. Goranson of "The Conners": LECY - Then/now
57. Big name in home security: ADT - Is the sign enough to deter criminals?
59. Summer sign: LEO.
60. FedEx rival: DHL