Sunday June 13, 2021 Matt Skoczen
Theme: "Get Wise" - Y is added to the end of one word in each common phrase.
23. Irish region named for a literary nobleman?: COUNTY DRACULA. Count Dracula.
31. Commiseration at a cookout?: BARBECUE PITY. Barbecue pit.
51. Sham indignation?: IMITATION FURY. Imitation fur.
67. Excited cry from a gemologist?: AY THERE'S THE RUBY. Ay there's the rub.
85. Dilemma presented by a suspicious peace offering?: TRICK OR TREATY. Trick or treat.
104. Young farm animals' taxi company?: CALVES' LIVERY. Calves' liver.
116. Cues from the Miracles' lead singer?: SMOKEY SIGNALS. Smoke signals. Smokey Robinson.
We've had a few "Why Not" puzzles where Y's are removed. I don't recall Y additions on Sundays. Fun phrases.
Shouldn't it be CALF'S LIVER though? Boomer used to make beef liver with onions. The smell!
8. Benjamin: C SPOT.
13. Kind of manner: BEDSIDE.
20. Repertoire: ARSENAL.
21. Riveting WWII icon: ROSIE. Rosie the Riveter. Read this fascinating story about the real life model.
22. Volatile solvent: ACETONE.
25. Vehicle in a pit: RACE CAR.
26. Works with purls: KNITS. Hi there, Madame Defarge!
27. Easy comparison: ABC.
28. Heartache: SORROW.
30. "Star Wars" antagonist: SITH.
35. Inquire: ASK.
38. Advance with determination: SOLDIER ON.
40. "The Purloined Letter" author: POE.
41. Cream additive: ALOE.
42. __-jongg: MAH. Spelled as Majiang in China. When I lived in Guangzhou, my neighbors often played Majiang until earlier mornings. Noisy.
45. Normandy city: CAEN. Have not seen this entry for a year.
46. Bro, for one: SIB.
48. Spent: ALL IN.
49. Bouquets: AROMAS.
56. San Juan __: California mission city: CAPISTRANO. Another unknown to me. It's in Orange County.
59. Athlete-turned-sportscaster Rashad: AHMAD. Ahmad Rashād was a Viking.
60. "Weeds" law org.: DEA.
61. Word with rule or show: SLIDE.
62. Wears down: ERODES.
65. USG successor: RBH. OK, Rutherford Birchard Hayes. Ulysses S. Grant.
66. "It's __ a while": BEEN.
71. Short rules?: REGS. Regulations.
74. Female lobster: HEN.
75. Wells' island doctor: MOREAU. "The Island of Dr. Moreau"
76. Degrade: ABASE.
80. Junior Olympic Games org.: AAU. The Amateur Athletic Union. We also have 17. Games org.: IOC.
81. __ Tranquility: SEA OF.
83. Feature of much commercial maple syrup: ADDED SUGAR. Great fill.
89. "Yeah, right!": OH SURE.
90. Ho-hum feeling: ENNUI.
91. India is home to a plurality of its employees: IBM. No surprise. So many IT talents there, Vidwan!
92. __ Victoria: LAKE.
94. Remote needs: AAS.
95. "Do-Re-Mi" critter: DEER.
96. Three Kingdoms Chinese state: WEI. Luckily the crossings are fair. I always keep Jayce's comment in mind. He likes to solve crosswords, not cross names.
99. Trading post visitors: BARTERERS.
103. Nutrition fig.: RDA.
106. Radio switch: AM FM.
110. Middle Jackson sister: LA TOYA. Janet on the right.
111. Uzbekistan, once: Abbr.: SSR.
112. Farm song letters: E I E I O.
113. Coup member?: SILENT P. The last letter of "Coup".
121. Loom power source: TREADLE. My grandma used to have a loom.
122. White-plumed heron: EGRET.
123. Hot air: PRATTLE.
124. Gave the okay: SAID YES.
125. Framing supports: STUDS.
126. Night flights: RED EYES.
2. Rice-__: A-RONI.
3. Astronaut's apparel: G SUIT.
4. 5, in 2.5: TENTHS.
5. QB's concerns: INTS. Interceptions.
6. 5, in 5/8, say: MAY. Chinese calendar adds a leap month every 3 years. Back in 1971, we had two Mays. I was born on May 8 in the second May.
8. Buster of old Hollywood: CRABBE.
9. Game with strikers: SOCCER.
10. Nittany Lions' sch.: PSU.
11. Jed Clampett's find: OIL.
12. Needle: TEASE. See here to calculate your Chinese age. Be warned, you'll be one or two years older! In China/Korea, babies are one-year old when they're born.
13. Hispanic city area: BARRIO.
14. Whist relative: ECARTE. Is it still a popular game?
15. Shill: DECOY.
16. Booyah or bouillabaisse: STEW. Unfamiliar with the stew Booyah.
18. CSI stuff: DNA.
19. Poetic adverb: EER.
24. __ to go: eager, colloquially: RARIN'.
29. On the facing pg.: OPP.
31. Really good time: BLAST.
32. Block ending: ADE. Blockade.
33. Mozart's "__ fan tutte": COSI.
34. Textbook segment: UNIT.
35. Refer (to): ALLUDE.
36. Nighttime shindig: SOIREE.
37. Ugandan neighbor: KENYAN.
39. "The Plough and the Stars" playwright Sean: O'CASEY.
41. TV alien: ALF.
42. Apple offerings: MACS.
43. Depleted sea: ARAL.
44. Southwestern native: HOPI.
47. Song cry heard here, there and everywhere?: BAA. Old MacDonald Had a Farm.
48. Furthermore: AND.
50. Golden touch king: MIDAS.
51. "You __ out?": IN OR.
52. Internet link: MODEM. Sigh. Does not look like CenturyLink will bring fiber to our area soon. Our modem is just too slow to handle our new Blogger format.
53. Sequence of online posts: THREAD.
54. Saturate: IMBRUE. New word to me. I only know IMBUE.
55. Nicole Kidman's island birthplace: OAHU. Gimme! Bruno Mars was born in Honolulu, by the way.
57. Try again: RE-HEAR. Try in court.
58. Playground crack?: ARE NOT.
63. That, to Tito: ESO.
64. Classic Fender, for short: STRAT.
66. One way to get around town: BY BUS.
68. Vincent van Gogh's brother: THEO. Now people just text "u ok?"
69. Actress Lamarr: HEDY.
70. Harsh critic: BASHER.
71. Very violent, perhaps: RATED R.
72. Made: EARNED.
73. Mali neighbor: GUINEA.
77. Río contents: AGUA.
78. Poet Teasdale: SARA. First one to win Pulitzer Prize for Poetry.
79. Cockney toast opener: 'ERES.
81. __ lodge: SKI.
82. "Good" day occurring once a yr.: FRI.
84. "Okey-__!": DOKEY.
86. Snake: CUR.
87. Declines: EBBS.
88. Human rights lawyer Clooney: AMAL. Outshines George Clooney.
92. Skeptical: LEERY.
93. BOS posting: ARR.
96. Rooster feature: WATTLE.
97. Runs off to wed: ELOPES.
98. Boston __: IVY. Boston ivy here, right?
100. Wagered: RISKED.
101. Den furnishings: TV SETS.
102. Jeanne d'Arc, par exemple: SAINTE. Also 108. Dijon daughter: FILLE.
104. Reese's output: CANDY.
105. Relieves: EASES.
107. Rich, as tomato sauce: MEATY. So happy to learn from Moe that there's "Super Firm Tofu". I wonder why House Foods does not make Super Firm. They only go "Extra Firm".
109. Exodus leader: MOSES.
110. It's usually played by a star: LEAD.
112. "Yikes!": EGAD.
113. Mark and Luke: Abbr.: STS. Probably should go the road angle due to SAINTE.
114. "Deathtrap" playwright Levin: IRA.
115. Island garland: LEI.
117. Co. heads: MGT.
118. Okla. campus with a Prayer Tower: ORU.
119. 6-Down is in it: Abbr.: SPR.
120. Hot state: IRE.