Theme: "Get Moving" - Seven moving words are redefined.
22A. LEAP: ABRUPT PASSAGE.
36A. DASH: RECIPE AMOUNT.
68A. BOLT: ROLL OF CLOTH.
98A. HOP: FIFTIES DANCE.
118A. SKIP: ACT OF OMISSION.
16D. VAULT: ARCHED STRUCTURE.
44D. RUN: PANTY HOSE MISHAP
. Husker Gary and I use HOSE MISHAP for RUN in our football puzzle
two years ago.
This is a typical definition theme type. Clues are often in caps and answers are often made-up.
If you have seven entries for a Sunday puzzle, this is an excellent grid to model after.
1. One on a stroll: AMBLER.
7. Absolute: ARRANT. Is this a word you use?
13. Some recyclables: METALS.
19. Louisiana cuisine: CREOLE. Never had gumbo. I do like okra.
20. Gets the old gang together: REUNES.
21. Tapas bar libation: SANGRIA.
24. Acts as a self-appointed regulator of: POLICES.
25. Bit of a jam: BIND.
26. Glitterati groups: A-LISTS.
27. Film studio VIP: DIR. Director. My favorite director is Zhang Yimou. Xi'an native as well.
28. Tint: HUE.
29. Eccentric sort: GEEZER. Often old.
32. God, in Genoa: DIO.
33. Accept as true: BELIEVE.
39. Make anew, as a trench: RE-DIG.
42. Liquid from a trunk: SAP. Maple!
45. Summoned, in a way: RANG.
46. Portable Asian shelter: YURT. Lots of them in Inner Mongolia.
47. Elliott of hip-hop: MISSY.
48. Half a frozen potato brand: IDA.
49. Keyboards with stops: ORGANS.
52. Forensic analysts, briefly: CSIs. Crime Scene Investigators.
54. Prefix with act or play: INTER.
55. Readied for impact: TENSED.
57. Figure __: EIGHT.
59. It may be fake: TAN.
61. Speed Wagon make: REO
. What's in this boy's hand?
62. Some saxes: ALTOS.
63. Instrument in a piano trio: CELLO.
65. River craft for early French explorers: BATEAU. French for "boat".
67. Husband-and-wife creators of Curious George: REYS.
71. PC virus check: SCAN.
74. They may precede bat flips: HOMERS.
76. Bring joy to: ELATE.
77. Chips on the table: KITTY.
78. Love of Lennon's life: ONO.
80. Copy: APE.
81. DKNY label creator: KARAN. Donna Karan worked for Anne Klein in the 1960s and 1970s.
83. Wee: MINUTE.
84. Layer of bricks: MASON.
86. Sermon subjects: SINS.
88. One carrying a torch: WELDER.
91. Turncoat: RAT.
92. Billy Joel's songwriting daughter: ALEXA. Christie Brinkley is aging beautifully.
93. Thesis: Abbr.: DISS.
95. Ávila aunts: TIAS.
96. EMT destinations: ERS.
97. Dorm diet staple: RAMEN. Any been to Ichiran Ramen?
102. Queued up: IN A LINE.
104. Butte-to-Helena dir.: NNE.
105. E-flat equivalent: D SHARP.
108. More, in Mazatlán: MAS.
110. URL ending: ORG.
111. "Being and Nothingness" author: SARTRE.
113. Drive-__: THRU. Here in Minnesota, the banks only provide drive-through services. Our stay-at-home ordered is extended to May 18.
115. Reach: ACHIEVE.
121. Sir __, nickname for the NBA's Barkley: CHARLES.
122. Safer on TV: MORLEY. Such a gentle soul.
123. Baum's good witch: GLINDA.
124. Flower features: SEPALS.
125. Golf course design features: SWALES
. Google shows it's "a small hill or depression on a
golf course." I just call them hills. Uphill lie. Downhill lies. Also 37. Gp. for good drivers: PGA
. And 64. 37-Down's Ernie: ELS
126. "Gunsmoke" star: ARNESS.
1. Hail __: A CAB.
2. Head honcho: MR BIG.
3. Suisse capital: BERNE.
4. Call from the back: LOUDER.
5. '70s supergroup, initially: ELP. Emerson, Lake & Palmer.
6. Like many AARP mems.: RET. I'm going to be eligible next year. I know Spitzboov is a member. Anyone else? Is it worth the annual fee?
7. Depleted sea: ARAL.
8. Make a home (in): RESIDE.
9. Cosmonaut's home: RUSSIA.
10. Pre-med subject: ANATOMY.
11. Strips in a darkroom, briefly: NEGS. Negatives. Also 14. Blowup: Abbr.: ENL.
12. "Cats" monogram: TSE.
13. New Zealand settler: MAORI. I saw haka dance when a New Zealand factory had a grand opening in Guangzhou. Very noisy.
15. Letters before Fridays: TGI.
17. Place: LIEU.
18. Postpaid encl.: SASE.
21. Word in a "What's done is done" proverb: SPILT.
23. Kitchen prep job: PARING.
27. Teeth: Pref.: DENTI.
30. 2/3 of 100?: ZEROES. Oh, OK. 100.
31. Online greeting: E-CARD.
33. Like a ruined balloon: BURST. So the mouthwatering kelp I had been waiting for over a month never came. Amazon has refunded me. The package probably never left Japan.
34. White fur: ERMINE.
35. Marble characteristic: VEIN.
38. Cry from a sting: OUCH.
40. "Got it": I SEE.
41. Greek sandwich: GYRO
. Never had one.
42. Bollywood soundtrack strings: SITAR.
43. Singer with numbered albums: ADELE.
50. Jodie Foster title role: NELL.
51. Rural skyline feature: SILO.
53. Orally report: STATE.
56. Barely worth mentioning: SO SO.
58. Errand runner: GOFER.
60. Part of NCAA: Abbr.: ATH.
63. Apple leftovers: CORES. Peach and nectarine season should be here soon. And watermelon. I'm tired of apples.
65. Tweet creator, at times: BOT.
66. A-apple link: AS IN. A as in apple.
68. Brief sign of status: REP.
69. __ hammer: CLAW.
70. Place with pins and balls: LANE.
72. Rose extract: ATTAR.
73. Russian rejections: NYETS.
75. Sábado, on viernes: MANANA. Saturday, to Friday. Googled afterwards.
77. Cherry-flavored brandy: KIRSCH.
78. "A Jug of Wine ... " poet: OMAR.
79. Animated queen: NALA. "The Lion King".
81. Word with bread or butter: KNIFE.
82. Little helper?: ASST. Assistant. Little suggests Abbr.
83. Stands for: MEANS.
85. Yoked pair: OXEN.
87. Picking from a mug book: ID'ING.
89. Part of LLC: Abbr.: LTD.
90. Royal headwear: DIADEM. Not CROWNS.
94. Rat Pack leader: SINATRA.
98. Sacks: FIRES.
99. Sign up: ENROLL.
100. Fixed rate: SET FEE.
101. Uses HelloFresh, say: EATS IN.
103. Can't get enough of: LOVES. I can eat these every day.
106. Cologne's river: RHINE.
107. Nudges along: PRODS.
108. "Big" fast-food orders: MACS.
109. Tylenol target: ACHE.
111. Garbage hauler: SCOW.
112. Rob __: cocktails: ROYS.
114. Some, in San Juan: UNAS.
116. Nest egg acronym: IRA.
117. Bracket shape: ELL.
118. Early hrs.: AMS.
119. Franchise-based supermarket chain: IGA. Independent Grocers Alliance.
120. Photog's choice: SLR.