Theres nothing like a good fall recipe to bring me back from the bloggers dead. I pinned this bad boy from Paleo Running Momma even before the first leaves of the season had changed; now that Ive broken out my sweaters and scarves, I figured it was time to give Caramelized Onion Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash the old college try.
- 2 small/medium acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise with seeds and pulp removed
- 1 lb sausage (I used Trader Joes garlic herb chicken sausage)
- 1 large onion, diced
- cooking fat (I used olive oil)
- minced garlic
- 1 medium/large apple, roughly chopped (I used honeycrisp)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped (I used 1 tsp dry)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme chopped (I used 2/3 tsp dry)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Im not going to go step-by-step because thats boring, and youre probably not reading this for the recipe anyway. But I will say, stuffing the squash while adorably Instagram-able is annoying. The hole isnt deep or wide enough to fit all the goodies inside, so spillage is unavoidable. That said, this is definitely a repeat recipe, but next time Im just going to make the sausage-apple-onion-spinach mixture and add chopped-up squash. The sweetness of the apples and squash combined with the saltiness of the sausage is scrumptious, and rosemary and thyme are the perfect herbs to round out the flavor profile.
See our home page or latest news
Looking to buy or order products on sale now.