White Chicken Enchiladas super easy sour cream chicken enchiladas that are made with lots of creamy and tangy sour cream for a delicious white sauce. They are cheesy, full of flavor and great for dinner anytime!
Enchiladas might be one of my favorite dinners. When I was growing up my mom made ground beef enchiladas with a red sauce quite often. When I started dating my husband it was one of the first recipes she made for him, and he immediately fell in love. It might be part of the reason we kept dating!
Over the years I have experimented with different flavors and now this is a recipe that I made for my parents and my mom actually requested the recipe from me! If you can get my dad to actually try and enjoy a different recipe that his tried and true you know it is good. He is kind of adverse to change, so you know these have to be good!
Corn Vs Flour Tortillas Enchiladas
This is a very controversial topic. If you have visited my Facebook page and seen the video for my Sour Cream Enchiladas than you know people can get heated over this. Mexican enchiladas are made with corn tortillas. If you make them with flour people tell you that is a burrito not and enchilada. I honestly prefer corn tortillas and think they taste better and have better texture. I think flour tortillas are too heavy and dominate the flavor more than I would like. But to me, you can do what you like. If you want like flour tortillas than go for it, I am not going to call you out and tell you that you are wrong. If you like corn tortillas than go for it!
How Do You Make White Chicken Enchiladas
- Start my mixing cooked shredded chicken with a little taco seasoning. You can use rotisserie chicken for this, leftover chicken or just cook up a large chicken breast and shred it.
- The filling is the shredded chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and a can of diced green chilies. Mix all of this together until it is well combined.
- Next you roll up the enchiladas. Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the filling. You dont want to over fill them or they will tear. Place them all seam side down in a baking dish.
- Next up is the sauce. In saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour and cook for a couple minutes, you want to stir constantly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and bring to boil. Let it cook for a few minutes until it thickens slightly. You want to keep stirring so the sauce doesnt burn. Then you remove the pan from the heat and stir in sour cream, chilies, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Let the enchiladas sit for a couple minutes before serving. This makes it so much easier to serve them!
How Do You Store Leftover Enchiladas
My husband loves to take the leftovers to work the next day. So I place 2 enchiladas in an air tight container and store them in the fridge. That way he can just grab them and take them to work to reheat at lunch. Depending on how many you have left you just want to store in an air tight container in the fridge. They will last for 2-3 days.
Can You Freeze Chicken Enchiladas
Yes, these are great to freeze. I often make a double batch when I am making this recipe so I can have one pan in the freezer for an easy dinner later. After you pour the sauce over the enchiladas you want to cover them tightly with foil and place them in the freezer. The thaw just place them in the fridge overnight and then bake according to the directions. Great to make for a friend or neighbor who needs dinner or have on hand for when life gets busy.
What to Serve With Chicken Enchiladas
More Mexican Recipes to Try
- Mexican Skillet Potatoes
- Mexican Pizza
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Taco Pizza
- Mexican Rice Skillet
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- 12 corn tortillas (warmed in wet paper towel)
- 2 cups shredded chicken tossed with 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 4 oz cream cheese
- White Sauce
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 3 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with non stick spray. Set aside.
- Mix shredded chicken with 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, cream cheese and green chilies
- Once that is all mixed together you will fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the mixture and roll them up. Place them seam side down in baking dish.
- In saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes, you want to stir constantly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and bring to boil. Let it cook for a few minutes until it thickens slightly, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in sour cream, chilies, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Let the enchiladas sit for a couple minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 596 Total Fat 39g Saturated Fat 21g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 13g Cholesterol 136mg Sodium 1014mg Carbohydrates 35g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 6g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 28g
I created a fun group onFacebook, and I would love for you to join us!Its a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see whats new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If youd like to check it out, you can request to joinHERE.
Be sure to follow me onInstagramand tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
This article originally published by Erin S on Mon, 03 Feb 2020 11:00:56 +0000 at _https://dinnersdishesanddesserts.com/white-chicken-enchiladas/